There are many myths, names and legends surrounding male genitalia. Statues have been erected for thousands of years celebrating well, erections. We’ve dug up the most interesting facts about the penis to impress your partner, friends and just on a need-to-know basis.
Here are 9 of the most fascinating facts about penises:
1. Slang terms for the penis are nothing new. Since the beginning of time men and women alike have come up with some clever names for male genitalia. In 1732 is was sometimes called, Arbor Vitae which is an evergreen tree and in the 1600s Bald-Pate Friar was a common slang term. In case you were wondering, a bald-pate friar is in reference to the haircut of friars—bald on top with hair on the sides. There is no shortage of terms for the penis in the Hebrew language including our favorite, shofka meaning spout—OY!
2. Currently, UrbanDictionary.com lists a whopping 169 slang terms for the penis. The top entries and most common terms include: bald-headed yogurt slinger, one-eye trouser snake, schlong, ding-a-ling, boner, mr. happy, shaft, knob, helmet, baby maker, johnson, pecker and of course, dick.
3. No matter what you call it, the origin of the word penis is Latin and means tail. In fact, phallus is used to describe the shape of the penis rather than the technical word.
4. Not to burst your bubble, but extra-large condoms are only used or at least needed by 6% of the ENTIRE world’s population, according to condom makers.
5. You can visit a museum dedicated to the penis if you happen to be in Iceland. Icelandic Phallological Museum is open from 10 to 6pm and is located in the city of Reykjavik. It’s the only museum of its kind and features 215 penises from animals but on land and sea.
5. Believe it or not, ejaculation is a signal sent from a man’s spinal cord and not his brain or any other organ for that matter. Let that sink in for a minute.
6. Your penis skin contains over 42 kinds of bacteria. This could explain the reasoning behind being “unclean” or uncircumcised. In fact, circumcised men are at less risk for contracting HIV.
7. There is an actual mental condition where a man believes his penis is disappearing. The mass hysteria is called, Koro also known as penis panic.
8. Over 600 men end up in the emergency room due to sex toy injuries to the penis the anus or both. Let this be a lesson to you: follow the directions and take it easy on your penis.
9. Sex is actually good for your health and can add years to your life. In fact, men that reportedly have sex on a regular basis have a lower risk of diabetes, stroke, heart disease and could live further into their golden years.