Had a bad day at work? Got in a fight with your girlfriend? Need to find your balls again and tell all the haters where to go? Relax…all you need to do is find a nice place on the sofa and escape with these old school blockbuster movies that you will restore your faith in manhood.
- Point Break (1991 version)—If you want the ultimate in surf movies you have to pay the ultimate price and watch Keanu Reeves’ bad acting, Gary Busey’s cheesy lines, Patrick Swayze’s surf moves and copious amounts of make-out scenes with that girl from A League of Their Own. Seriously bro, this original version might make you want to drop out of society, rob banks and shoot the tube.
2. Scarface (1983)—Chances are, you have re-watched this gangster film for the 100th time starring Al Pacino as a Cuban immigrant that doesn’t take shit from anyone and wants you to say hello, “to my little friend.” The cast includes stellar performances from a hot and very young, Michelle Pfeiffer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. In addition to lots of badass violence, there is plenty of gratuitous boob shots to keep you distracted from your problems.
3. Die Hard (1988)—Normally reserved as a Christmas movie, I think it’s always the right season to watch Detective McClane get one over on Hans Gruber. We’re talking hostages, a shit-ton of explosions and a hero rescuing his girl. This movie was so good they made a few sequels although the original is still the best.
4. The Dirty Dozen (1967)—Think the 1980s ‘A’ Team television series but this crew is a patchwork of true thugs. Telly Savalas (yes, Kojak), Clint Walker, Lee Marvin, Charles Bronson, George Kennedy, Ernest Borgnine and a myriad of other screen legends that you won’t recognize unless you are a film buff. Basically, this band of rebels is pulled from a military prison and commissioned for a special operation. Shit gets real early on in the film.
5. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (1991)—Forget what I said about sequels. This movie is actually better than the original. Watch the former Governor of California (Arnold Schwarzenegger) save the day and the life of John Connor and his mom, Sarah Connor (played by Linda Hamilton aka James Cameron’s wife…the guy that directed Titanic) while blowing up shit along the way.
6. Fight Club (1999)—What happens in this film stays in this film. An underground fight club forms as one man (Tyler Durden) has had enough of the bullshit that society continues to heap on him and anyone else. There is a twist at the end that is pretty kick-ass.
7. Rambo: First Blood (1982)—We still can’t figure out why Brian Dennehy can’t leave Sylvester Stallone (John Rambo) alone. I mean, the guy is a freaking war hero and veteran that is just trying to live his life in solitude and wants to wander the Earth like Caine. However, it seems that Rambo can’t catch a break and has to go full commando to be left alone.
8. Reservoir Dogs (1992)—Perhaps one of Tarantino’s best and considered one of the new gangster classics, it interweaves the story of an undercover cop and a group of criminals that try to pull off a diamond heist. What could go wrong? Everything. Mr. Blue, Mr. Pink and Mr. White are up for the task but who’s the rat?